This week, I talk about the variety of podcasts that I listen to that keep me informed about what’s happening in South Carolina and in our nation.
There are a number of podcasts that are specific to South Carolina:
- South Carolina Lede is run by South Carolina Public Radio and is hosted by Gavin Jackson. Interviews, news, campaign updates, and more in 30 minutes or less, about twice a week.
- Bourbon in the backroom is an often amusing behind-the-scenes look at what goes on in Columbia, hosted by former state senators Vincent Sheheen and Joel Lourie. These release about once a week.
- Clyburn Chronicles – featuring our favorite SC Congressman as he dives into history and race relations with various guests. You only get one a month, but they’re worth the wait.
- Podmetto Politics – Unabashedly liberal, these younger activists from Greenville (including former Greenwoodian, Chris Fedalei) provide an unfiltered view of what it’s like being blue in a red state! They put out an episode about once a month, but are usually far more active during election cycles.
- Understand SC – A weekly production of the Post & Courier where they dive into topics specific to our state
For information at the national level, I listen to:
- FiveThirtyEight Politics – where they crunch the numbers and polling data
- Freakonomics Radio – technically not a strict political podcast, but they do cover some odd topics that fall in the realm of economics and policy.
- Pod Save America – hosted by former Obama aides, they score some top-notch interviews and help you arm yourself against the bs you typically hear from “the other side”
- The Bakari Sellers podcast – This SC native conducts interviews and provides commentary twice a week, with a focus primarily on black culture and issues. But his interview style and the guests he attracts should be heard by everybody!